A choice of Private Pedestrian Tours
VIP Tour: The New Athens and Montmartre
With Your Private Licensed Guide
Highlights and hidden gems of the 19th Century Romantic Paris:
Follow your Private Conference Guide into an entertaining and informative walking tour around the 9th and 18th districts. Relive some Paris essentials of the romantic movement symbolized by many artists living in the Nouvelle Athènes and in Montmartre since the beginning of the 19th Century. Admire its prestigious townhouses and architectural façades. Walk by the hub of Pigalle and its iconic Moulin Rouge. See the most colorful church of Paris. Or take on The Belle Epoque and Art Deco Tour with its famous “Passages” in the performance and antique dealers’ area.
Other tours available upon request:
- The Marais area with the exclusive Place des Vosges and its 17th Century townhouses
- The ancient Roman area of the Cité & Latin Quarter; the neighborhood of the old Paris
- The first industrial districts in the North of Paris
The New Athens
Stroll in the quiet residential district, the Greek-inspiring area known as La Nouvelle Athènes. Developed in the 1820s for the rising professional classes of the new industrialist era, the Nouvelle Athènes was influenced by London’s urban architecture, featuring neo-classical houses with large porches and cast-iron balcony. Discover why the neighborhood is called after the antique Greek city. And see where illustrious former artists and intellectuals such as Chopin, George Sand, Berlioz, Delacroix, Jean Cocteau and Guillaume Apollinaire settled down in the 19th Century.
Montmartre, “La Bohème”.. this old village, once outside of Paris, seems to have escaped time. Perched on winding alleys, it has been the site of numerous fights and political outbreaks in the 19th Century, to keep the Hill (Butte) outside of Paris.
- See Picasso’s first workshop in Paris
- Visit the Sacré-Coeur Basilica and enjoy a spectacular view on Paris. Stroll through the cobbled streets of Montmartre and get introduced to the village’s most secluded landmarks
- Learn about what became the artistic cradle of 20th Century’s greatest painters and musicians. Set out in the footsteps of the legend of Toulouse-Lautrec, Picasso, Renoir, Van Gogh, Modigliani, or again Maurice Utrillo and Aristide Bruant. Learn about their close ties with poets friends Apollinaire or Max Jacob..
- Take your most panoramic pictures from the Basilica’s piazza; learn about the history of the Medieval village and discover its magnificent 12th Century Parish!
- Meet the portraitists at the famous Place du Tertre
- Lunch in a Landmark restaurant suggested by your Private Licensed Guide offering fresh market vegetables and home-made cuisine
To complete your visit and learn more about the area’s artistic trend, this tour may be combined with one of the hidden gems of the neighborhood’s musems :
Paris in Music: The Phono Museum (A unique 40-mn Tour with the owner, expert and museum’s curator)
A place for music lovers and collectors to discover magnificent phonographs. Jalal Aro, the owner and worldwide-known curator who launched his unique enterprise will share with you his passion for vintage machines which all work! You’ll hear artists’ voices from the beginning of the 20th Century. See, listen and experience sound from the cylinder to the vinyl records.
Musée de La Vie Romantique
This 19th Century townhouse is a journey to a personal collection from the romantic period. The museum displays numerous pieces dedicated to the romantic figure, George Sand, neighbor and friend of the owner and painter, Ary Scheffer. Discover this hidden gem preserved in its original condition. Then sit in the peaceful corner of the garden and tearoom Rose Bakery.
Gustave Moreau’s museum
Discover the artist’s private residence in an elegant 19th Century townhouse. Walk up to the breathtaking workshop where the artist accomplished his most important artworks. Admire the sumptuous spiral stairway adorning the room.
Included: √ Private Tour with a Conference Guide Not included: X Museum’s entrance ticket
√ Private Tour with a Conference Guide
X Museum’s entrance ticket